Boards are back in the dam

We hope everyone is staying healthy and faring well. Perhaps the lake can give us some peace and respite and more time to observe the migratory birds. (A wood duck has been observed in the second basin.)

As of 8 a.m. this morning (March 20), the boards are back in the dam, starting the refill.

We have been exploring calculations for flow rates based on measurements from the past (empirical approach) and on standard formula based on the width of the weir (aka spillway) and depth of water (theoretical approach).

We now have a consolidated data base with at least 10 years’ measurements that we’ll post on the LBA web site. A big thanks to Theresa O’Riorden, Conray Wharff and Dave Gray who have taken turns over the years to acquire this data.

The major 1987 Camp, Dresser & McKee Diagnostic Feasibility Study has been added to the Water Quality menu here on the LBA website.

Place your bets now as to when the lake level will over-top the boards!

Dan Barstow
Lake Boon Commission

Stow Con Comm hearing tonight on Eversource project

There is a Stow Conservation Commission Public Hearing tonight that may be of interest to the Lake Boon community.  It relates to the Eversource transmission line project and its effects on the lake and our wells.  While the approvals for the project are being appealed, Eversource is trying to move forward.  Both the Sudbury and Hudson Conservation Commissions are challenging many environmental aspects of this plan, with the Hudson commission reportedly mentioning the threat of contamination of Boon Lake at the EFSB hearing.  It is unknown whether the Stow Conservation Commission will challenge the plan.  Interested parties should attend tonight and make any concerns heard regarding the safety of our lake and our well water:  Wednesday, March 4, 2020 at 8:00pm, Stow Town Building, 380 Great Road, Stow

For background, the Eversource/DCR Notice of Intent, Stormwater Report and Plans, and final EFSB decision have been posted on the Stow Con Comm’s web pages here:

Update: temporary delay on replacing boards

Update: A few people have requested that we delay refilling the lake a couple of weeks, to give time for spring cleanup etc.

After checking in with the Stow Conservation Commission, we will delay putting the boards in until the week of Mar 16.  We can’t put it off later than that, per the Order of Conditions.

The Lake Boon Commission reports that now that the ice is gone, the boards will be put back into the Barton Road dam, and the lake will start to refill.

The boards will go in sometime during the week of March 2 through March 6. It will then take a few weeks, depending on rainfall, to bring the lake back up to its usual height, expected by April 1.

The net rise will be about 14 inches.

If you have any questions, please contact Dan Barstow, Lake Boon Commission, at

The Lake Boon Commission will also do a standard phosphate measurement, as part of their monitoring of lake health.

Meanwhile you can do your bit too—here is one tip to help keep the lake water cleaner and help prevent overabundance of algae and weeds.