Our Next Pick-up Date: Wednesday, March 8, 2023
Building Community—Sharing Food—Here’s How to Help!
The Lake Boon Food Project started in 2013 when lake resident Kelly McCausland visited Ashland, Oregon and learned about how residents there supported the Ashland Emergency Food Bank through regular door-to-door food collections.
Kelly brought the idea back to Lake Boon and we’ve been collecting six times a year for our own local Stow and Hudson Food Pantries ever since—more than 16,950 pounds of food so far!
Want to help? It’s easy!
- Contact Barbara Clancy at firstname.lastname@example.org. She’ll put you on the pick-up list and get you a Lake Boon Food Project bag.
- Then when you do your own grocery shopping, just buy one extra new and nonperishable food item each week and store it at home in the bag. See below for a list of suggested items.
- Leave the bag out by 5 p.m. on collection day, and volunteers Cindy Curley, Ellen Krag and Carolyn McDonald will pick it up and leave you an empty bag to fill for next time.
Our next pickup date is Wednesday, March 8, 2023. This date is “weather permitting”—we may postpone the pickup by a week if the forecast is very rainy.
Suggested donation items for Hudson:
The Hudson Community Food Pantry is especially in need of:
- “Sides” like boxed rice pilaf, instant mashed potatoes, or Hamburger Helper.
- “Meals in a can:” hearty soups, beef stew, canned ravioli
- Cooking oil
- Paper products
- Healthy snacks: granola bars, crackers
- Coffee & tea
- Flour, sugar, or baking mixes
- Feminine Hygiene Products
- Toilet Paper and other paper products
- Toothpaste (high demand!)
Suggested donation items for Stow:
As of May 2022, the Stow Food Pantry is back to an in-person pantry, so they are able to take a wider variety of donations. They are in special need of:
- Applesauce (6-packs of cups or cans/jars)
- Ritz crackers, Triscuits, Wheat Thins or other basic crackers (store brands are fine!)
- Regular and Decaf Instant Coffee
- Baking mixes (Banana, pumpkin, cranberry bread mix or muffin mix are popular)
- Flavored rice mix (like Rice-a-roni or Near East-type pilafs–other brands are fine too!)
We are happy to answer your questions! Email Barbara at email@example.com, or call/text 978-793-4301. Thank you for your interest in the Lake Boon Food Project!