Building Community—Sharing Food—Here’s How to Help!
The Lake Boon Food Project started in 2013 when lake resident Kelly McCausland visited Ashland, Oregon and learned about how residents there supported the Ashland Emergency Food Bank through regular door-to-door food collections.
Kelly brought the idea back to Lake Boon and we’ve been collecting six times a year for our own local Stow and Hudson Food Pantries ever since—more than 16,025 pounds of food so far!
Want to help? It’s easy!
- Contact Barbara Clancy at email@example.com. She’ll put you on the pick-up list and get you a Lake Boon Food Project bag.
- Then just buy one extra nonperishable food item each week and store it at home in the bag. See below for a list of suggested items.
- Leave the bag out by 5 p.m. on collection day, and volunteers Cindy Curley, Ellen Krag and Carolyn McDonald will pick it up and leave you an empty bag to fill for next time.
Our next pickup date is Wednesday, November 17, 2021. This date is “weather permitting”—we may postpone the pickup by a week if the forecast is very rainy.
Suggested donation items for Hudson:
The Hudson Community Food Pantry is especially in need of:
- “Sides” like boxed rice pilaf, instant mashed potatoes, or Hamburger Helper.
- “Meals in a can:” hearty soups, beef stew, canned ravioli
- Cooking oil
- Canned beans
- Healthy snacks: granola bars, crackers
- Coffee & tea
- Flour, sugar, or baking mixes
- Feminine Hygiene Products
- Toilet Paper and other paper products
Suggested donation items for Stow:
The Stow Food Pantry is offering pre-packed bags of groceries at their drive-up pantry. Because they are packing bags in advance they are asking for specific items that can’t easily be found at Greater Boston Food Bank or that are expensive to buy wholesale. For November’s pickup, they have requested…
- Applesauce (6-packs of cups or cans/jars)
- Ritz crackers
- Wheat Thins
- Beef broth
- Cream of mushroom soup
- Regular instant coffee
We are happy to answer your questions! Email Barbara at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call/text 978-793-4301. Thank you for your interest in the Lake Boon Food Project!